IELTS General Exam Taken

Home Page Forums Student Support IELTS General Exam Taken

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Rohit Mahajan
    Participant

Hello

I would like to thank the GIELTS help team for helping me prepare the IELTS exam. I gave exam on June 25th and after long wait got the result on 23rd July.
    The Result is as follow:-
    L – 9
    R- 7.5
    W-6.5
    S-7
    Overall= 7.5.

I am very happy for the overall result I got but it will not serve the purpose as I need 7 in each domain. I will try again in September.

I never thought I will get this good score during practice, I was not getting the 7 in reading but with guidance from team I am able to achieve the score. I admit, for writing there in one to be blame but me, as my writing is not so good, maybe my marks got deducted there.

Regards
    Rohit

anh nguyen
    Participant

Could you pls share how could you improve reading skill? Im also stuck on that part. Thank you

Rohit Mahajan
    Participant

Read a lot, there is no shortcut. What I used to do is completed 5-6 only reading part of all the tests in one book, with each test my score was improving but it never got above 30 marks, as those were academic tests but the G test is quite easy exam. So your score will improve eventually.

There is one trick that I invented helped me a lot was, never read whole passage in one short. Read one para and then try to solve first 1-2 questions as questions are in order of passage, so keep answering questions and parallel to passage reading.

Hope that helps! All the Best!

geadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Rohit,
    You are most welcome. I am glad your scores improved. Definitely practice lots of writing. You can use our editing service. It is an extra 6 cents per word. Regardless, make sure to get professional feedback on your writing to see where you are making frequent mistakes. Then, focus to correct these fossilized mistakes in your next piece. Keep up the good studies.

geadmin
    Keymaster

Yes, this strategy will work to a point, band 6 to 7. However for the more difficult questions, you will need to have a more holistic understanding of the passage. Make sure to review the strategies of critical reading in the course.

geadmin
    Keymaster

Take note Ahn, you can improve reading comprehension AND reading fluency to increase your overall ability and score. It is a good idea to practice and focus on these separately and then combine them.

Singh
    Participant

Hi Rohit,

How did you manage to get 9 in listening? what all study material you went through? Please share with me.

I went to lot of youtube videos tests and cambridge tests but that didnt help me much.

Geadmin,
    Are the exams difficulty level is different in different countries?

Rohit Mahajan
    Participant

Bhaji SSA

I practiced from Barron’s books and took training material from local training center which is nothing but Cambridge tests and of-course online training. IDP book I got when I booked the exam was very tough, if you are getting less score on that don’t worry, exams of IDP general book are equivalent to academic tests. I will recommend you to prepare for academic test and you will see score of General will be excellent.

I recommend you go through GIELTShelp videos and practice sessions, you will find them very useful and will not find anywhere else, some of the tips and tricks you need to follow blindly at first it will not make sense but later you will see your score improves eventually.

While making study plan, keep in mind that if you didn’t get the desire score in first test, plan for the second test in advance. This will prepare you mentally for commitment, that you have to clear the test no matter what. Second is practice a lot as much as you can following the plan. There are two steps to practice, step 1 is to practice 10-15 listening tests only, then writing, then reading and lastly speaking. This step 1 will help to rectify the mistakes in one particular section for example if in listening you are making certain set of mistakes like spelling or you are not able to pick up in certain set of listening tasks. I was getting in first test close to 24-28 but after following tips and practice I was coming close to 38 by 12 the test.
    Once you have completed 10-12 test individually for each section then move to step 2 start giving complete tests. I will recommend to practice close to 10 complete tests before you give the exam.

If after doing 5-6 listening tests in step 1 your score is not improving, I will recommend you to watch Friends TV Show 4-5 seasons of your choice. If by end of each episode you are feeling that you have inhaled laughing gas your score will improve.

All the best! Hope that helps!

Cheers

Singh
    Participant

Thanks bro.. Are there any specific names of the books or any latest edition that are helpful?

Rohit Mahajan
    Participant

Bro

Barron’s book set, Cambridge books 1-7 and book you get when you book the exam through IDP is sufficient..

Regards

geadmin
    Keymaster

Yes, and I recommend the more recent books 8 and 9 as well.

Singh
    Participant

Thanks Guys. That’s a great help.

I was thinking about my answers that i wrote in the listening test and I think i wrote the answers in small letters but first letter of the word as capital.. Like Doctor.

Is there any rule that we can write the answers in capital letters..
    For eg: Like the word doctor can be written as : Doctor or DOCTOR or doctor Which one is correct?

What is your suggestion on this? is it better to write everything in capital letters?

geadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Singh,
    The correct answer is ‘doctor’ The only time you would capitalize the word is when it begins the sentence. Like a fill in the blank, Ex. ______ help their patients out of office. In this case it would be Doctor. Otherwise, only names are capitalized. ***Do not capitalize all the letters DOCTOR. This is not good and will most likely be marked wrong. The IELTS does follow the same capitalization rules as the general English language. No surprise there : ) Keep up the good studies.

Singh
    Participant

Thanks for the confirmation.. There are some problems which confuse me while writing the answer.

Answer for the below blank is “social” but should I write it here as SOCIAL/ social?
    Because the given “type of help” are also capitalized in the question. Please explain?? What should be the correct answer or both would be correct.?

Question:Complete the table below.
    Write NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS for each answer

TYPE OF HELP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> EXAMPLES
    FINANCIAL ;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> • grants

1. …………………………………. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> • childcare

ACADEMIC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> • using the library

geadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Singh,
    The best and safest answer is all lower case, ‘social’ Keep up the good studies.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.